Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Where do I go from here?

On November 22, 2009 I wrote: “I am going to sit here with my book next to the computer and go through the process of planning, writing, publishing, and promoting my nonfiction book just as I teach others to do it. And I am going to do it on my blog, The Writing Life.”

It took me ten weeks to write the first draft and have it edited. I thought it would take a lot longer but I should have realized I would become obsessed with the project. Once I begin to write, I am always obsessed. The book, so far, isn’t very long—2,1791 words, which is only 87 manuscript pages.

My editor and I have agreed not to look at the manuscript for two weeks, so that it will be fresh when we reread it. I am going to spend this “down time” planning next steps.

Here is my initial “to-do” list (very preliminary):

  1. Buy Dan Poynter’s newest book....................................... done
  2. Read relevant chapters..........................................in the works
  3. Reread Zinsser’s Writing Your Life
  4. Begin to follow timetable...................................... in the works
  5. Research copyrights
  6. Register copyright
  7. Write copyright page
  8. Write dedication............................................................ done
  9. Write preface .......................................... use “writing out loud”?
  10. Write acknowledgements
  11. Write bibliography/recommended reading
  12. Write back cover copy............................................ in the works
  13. Apply for ISBN
  14. Apply to library of congress for an LCCC number
  15. Decide on publishing method
  16. Research creating publishing company
  17. Choose company name.................................................... done
  18. Design company logo...................................................... done
  19. Think about who might write the foreword
  20. Have cover & page spreads designed......................... in the works
  21. Reread/reassess manuscript (with editor)
  22. Send chapters to friends for review & critique
  23. Revise/reread
  24. Have manuscript copy edited
  25. Map out promotional activities list............................in the works
  26. Register for a domain name ............................................ done
  27. Choose a website host.............................................done: Verio
  28. Sign up for ShopSite store......................... done: through Verio
  29. Send out readers’ copies/solicit testimonials

0 comments: