Thursday, April 24, 2008

Getting Around the WWW

Cyberspace Isn't for sissies. There is more to it than having an Internet browser on your desktop or knowing how to open an attachment on your e-mail.

According to Wikipedia, The Internet is a "network of networks" that consists of millions of smaller domestic, academic, business, and government network. Together, they carry information and services, such as electronic mail, online chat, file transfer, and the interlinked web pages and other resources of the World Wide Web.

For the novice, the WWW is downright mind-boggling and, for the rest of us, depending on our technological sophistication, it can still be pretty confusing. Every time I think I understand something, I find ten more things I didn't even know existed.

Here's where I stand at the moment: I have a multi-page, somewhat interactive website. I have a store with a shopping cart that calculates tax and shipping and accepts payments from PayPal. I have a presence on Gather, Yahoo, FaceBook, Eons, EzineArticles.com, and more than a dozen other online article sites. I have a blog, a gazillion website bookmarks, and an e-mail address book, neatly divided into groups. I can capture the e-mail addresses of people who sign up for my free eBook and automatically send it off to them by return e-mail.

Here's what I don't do very well, if at all: I don't know how many hits I get on various pages of my site. I don't understand Google Analytics. I'm not great with key words, search engines, or directories. I don't take full advantage of all my social networking sites or my blog. I'm not fluent in techno-speak or HTML.

On the other hand, I do have a phenomenal Web guru who fixes my mistakes and guides me through the website marketing maze. Everyone needs a Bobette Kyle!

0 comments: